Google has always wanted to give its searchers exactly what they’re looking for, right when they’re...
Core Web Vitals. A phrase all of you SEOs are going to have to put up with for the foreseeable because you guessed it - Google is rolling out another algorithm update. 🥲 That's why on this week's episode of Trending Upwards, Digital 22's Tiff and Adrian run through what you need to know about Core Web Vitals.
Think of Core Web Vitals as a page experience metric from Google. It determines what type of experience visitors get when they land on your page.
Introduced in May 2020, these are valuable metrics related to site speed, responsiveness and visual stability. Performance metrics for each web vital statistic is graded according to three outcomes: Good (that's a pass), needs improvement and fail.
Want to make sure you're doing all the right things? Hit the play button play to get the insights from Tiff and Adrian.
Core Web Vitals - What do I need to know?
Google classifies the three metrics mentioned above as follows:
- Largest Contentful Paint (LCP): Measured by how long it takes to click on a link and then seeing the content on-screen
- First Input Delay (FID): The time is takes for a page to be ready for user interactivity, such as clicks, scrolls or keyboard input
- Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS): The amount of unexpected layout shift of visual page content
I won't lie, this is all fairly technical and I could go on for days. To do the guys' knowledge justice and for you to find out some tips on what you can do to improve the criteria, make sure to hit a play button.
What else did they discuss?
This episode is packed full of Core Web Vitals knowledge you can't afford to miss out on. The guys also dive into:
- The tools that will allow you to check Core Web Vitals
- What to prioritise, such as cost, end-user impact and more
- The connection between Core Web Vitals and page speed
- How delays impact conversions
- How Core Web Vitals will evolve over time
- And loads more
By May 2021, Core Web Vitals will become a ranking factor, so now is the time to make the necessary changes and improvements. To make sure you don't miss out any of the insights from Tiff and Adrian, make sure to watch the video or check out the episode on Soundcloud to listen on-the-go.
Want to keep up-to-date with all of our video content?
Trending Upwards it the latest podcast added to Digital 22 studios - and we have plenty more. From SEO insights to video tips and everything marketing-related, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Hit that subscribe button and turn on the notifications so you never miss an episode.